Re: negative_dns_ttl in STABLE5 [related patch]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:08:34 +0200

Charles Bruneteau wrote:

> When does a PURGE occur ? Does it only depend on ttls from squid.conf ? With a
> -k reconfigure ?

PURGE is a Squid specific HTTP method for manually purging specific
cache contents. See the Squid FAQ.

> Concerning reloads are you talking only about "Pragma: no-cache" header ? Is it
> so common ? I mean it's only there when a user ask for it (Shift-reload on
> Netscape for example). Is an If-modified-since a reload ?

"Pragma: no-cache" is on all types of reload actions, shift or no shift.

The difference between plain reload and Shift-Reload is that a plain
reload includes If-Modified-Since (if the object is cached in the
browser cache) while a Shift-Reload doesn't. What this translates to is
that Reload forces a realidation of the cached object, while
shift-reload forces a fresh download regardless if the object is
modified or not.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker