Re: Configuration or bug?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 00:08:15 +0200

Martin Svensson wrote:

> 2. I don't know if this is a bug or something, but when users requests
> pages sometimes the funniest things can happen. I just got an email from
> one of them, he accessed a php-script on the internet. But instead of
> displaying the pics on that page an animated porn gif came..

Smells like a bug.

Squid 1.X is known to sometimes corrupts it's on disk cache, but I
thought we had got away from such problems in Squid 2. However, if you
are peering with Squid 1.X caches then you are at risk.

First thing I'd like you to do is to verify that your Squid is cleanly
built. When you build squid, change configure options or add paches and
then build squid again things can easily get out of sync inside the code
unless you always run "make clean" prior to building Squid.

1. Go to your top level Squid source directory
2. Run "make clean" to make sure the build tree is clean
3. Run "make install" to build and install a pure copy
4. Restart Squid

If the problem reappears then would it be very nice if you could make a
debug log of a request where it fails, but I understand that getting one
is not that easy as the problem is most likely intermettent and hard to
reproduce.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker