Re: Help with transparent cache

From: Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:29:38 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Ashfield <mda@unb.ca>
To: <squid-users@ircache.net>
Sent: Friday, October 22, 1999 6:09 PM

> Hi,
>
> THanks for the response. I obviously have some learning to do, but my
basic
> quesiton is to run squid as a transparent cache do I need a firewall?
>
> Cheers
>
> Matt
> mda@unb.ca

You need something which is going to intercept the outgoing packets
(which the client PC on your site believes it is sending to the off-
site WWW server) and send them on to your proxy (perhaps rewriting the
destination IP address).

This requires a box which sits between your internal clients and the
rest of the world. Whether you class this as a firewall is up to you
(in the sense that if it just diverts packets - is it really a fire-
wall). It is certainly the same sort of thing (matching packets by
rules and rewriting / rejecting them) as a firewall.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin@reading.ac.uk>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK