Re: Load balancing on Multiple squid cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:57:55 +0200

shahnawaz@hancom-system.com.pk wrote:

> How can I apply load balancing on multiple squid. How
> should I use the squid to divide equal load on multilple squids.

A small selection of load balancing options:

a) DNS round robin or similar
b) proxy PAC "random" distribution or similar
c) Manyally divide your cliends by having different proxy settings in
the browser for different groups of users
d) Buy a L4 "switch" designed for load balancing a TCP service amongs
several hosts
e) Have a small Squid proxy without filtering/caching forwarding
requests to a farm of filtering caching proxies with round-robin
distribution. (other distributions is possible but require coding them
your self)
f) Build your own TCP distributor using freeware components (for example
Linux IPVS)

Which one to select depends on your application, knowledge and amount of
funds and/or time available.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker