Re: cookie problems

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:30:12 +0200

Dancer wrote:

> That - to me - begs the question of what squid does with 'Cache-control:
> private'. Best case assumption: If user information is available, the
> page is cached but can only generate a hit for the same user. Worst case
> assumption: Page is not cached at all.

RFC2616 section 14.9.1 What is Cacheable

   private
      Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended for
      a single user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache. This
      allows an origin server to state that the specified parts of the
      response are intended for only one user and are not a valid
      response for requests by other users. A private (non-shared) cache
      MAY cache the response.

       Note: This usage of the word private only controls where the
       response may be cached, and cannot ensure the privacy of the
       message content.

"MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache" leaves very little room for
assumtions I would say. Squid is quite obviously a shared cache.

/Henrik