RE: Pulling up instructions for authentication

From: Espen Lyngaas <Espen.Lyngaas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 11:40:59 +0100

>The browser has control of the dialogue, not squid. Also,
>the protocol is stateless.
>
>Your problem is poor user interface design in the browser;
>you should take this up with the browser supplier.

Aplogies for dragging this out. Please feel free to drop the thread, and
tell me to shut up at any time :-)

The reason I'm being so annoying about this is that I have a very large
number of users who do not know what to type into the dialog box that
appears. Further, a slightly unwanted feature of the external
authentication program is that if you mistype your password six times
(whatever NT is set to as a limit), your NT account is locked. This last
bit has of course nothing to do with Squid.

--
I can't see that this has anything to do with the dialogue or the browser,
since it happens before the browser knows that this is a page that requires
authentication.
When the browser requests a page that Squid discovers needs authentication,
all Squid needs to do is send out an instructions page, (let's call it
ERR_AUTH_INSTRUCTIONS for instance), directly followed by the HTTP
Authentication Required code.
Seen from the browser, you will have the contents of ERR_AUTH_INSTRUCTIONS
in the browser window slightly obsured by the authentication dialog box.
Ie. the *only* difference is that just before Squid sends out the HTTP
Auth.Req code, it sends out the ERR_AUTH_INSTRUCTIONS page.
--
Espen Lyngaas, IT Consultant, Color Group ASA
Espen.Lyngaas@colorline.no Espen.Lyngaas@c2i.net