Unable to access cache manager

From: Tim Villa <tvilla@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 14:11:58 +0800

Hi all,
I've recently installed Squid 2.2.Stable 5 but am having
frequent problems with it crashing with the error:

"You've run out of swap file numbers"

The FAQ suggests tweaking some settings as in:

<http://squid.mirror.aarnet.edu.au/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.26>

which lead me to trying to get the cache manager working so that
I could find out what sort of numbers I should be looking at. In
the meantime I tried making the cache (much) smaller, decreasing
the number of level 1 and level 2 directories etc, all to no avail. The
only solution to keep the damned thing running is to wipe the cache,
rebuild it (squid -z) and restart the daemon. Clearing the swap.state
file doesn't help.

The FAQ for the cache manager is at:

<http://squid.mirror.aarnet.edu.au/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-9.html#ss9.1>

I've proceeded to install Apache and it would seem that I'm getting
as far as talking to the manager, but am failing with the message:

---8<---
While trying to retrieve the URL: cache_object://localhost/

The following error was encountered:

      Cache Manager Access Denied.

Sorry, you are not currently allowed to request:

     cache_object://localhost/

from this cache manager until you have authenticated yourself.
---8<---

The Cache Manager Interface requires a name and a password,
however the docs suggest that a URL and password are needed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

--
Tim Villa, Network / Systems Administrator
Faculties of Economics & Commerce, Education and Law