Re: Squid going unresponsive

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 00:07:02 -1000

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 04:18:03AM +0000, dancer@zeor.simegen.com wrote:
> mjw@nielsenmedia.com wrote:
> > I've been running Squid 2.2stable4 for a while on a Sun Ultra 5 with Solaris
> > 2.6 for a while without any major problems. I had been running with both
> > the cache and log files on the same physical disk. 2 days ago, I installed
> > some new disks and pointed the log files there. The next day I had to
> > restart Squid 5 times. Everything would work fine for a while and then
> > response time would go through the roof. cachemgr would show dns lookups,
> > user authentication, and download times increasing exponentially.
> > Eventually cachemgr would become unresponsive, and then I would get warnings
> > in cache.log that Squid was out of file descriptors. I am assuming that
> > adding the new disk for log files eliminated disk contention as the
> > bottleneck and that I am now hitting the wall elsewhere. The question I
> > have is where? It doesn't look to me like I am having memory problems, but
> > I might add more just to be sure. What happens when Squid is CPU bound?
> > Does this behavior sound familiar to anyone?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike

It could just have started swapping, due to memory use increasing due
to the extra disk space. Did you check your system's swap disk status
to see that it's staying empty?

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.