The run out of swap file numbers message

From: Ambrose Li [EDP] <acli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:45:54 -0500

Hi,

I know this is in the FAQ, but I have a couple of questions about
this message and this doesn't seem to have been asked in the list:

1 The FAQ says that it is a "warning message". However, from my
   experience it is indicative of a (already happened) squid
   failure. Is it true that it really is supposed to be just a
   warning?

2 Before I upgraded to squid 2.2, squid was running fine; and in
   particular I have no problems with the "swap file numbers".
   After upgrading to squid 2.2, I have to watch out for this and
   other warning messages and reformat the cache partition before
   the users notice any problems :-) (Simply restarting squid
   does not help; the cache partition has to be reformatted.)

   Does anyone else running squid 2.2 on Linux 2.0.35/38 + libc5
   experience any similar problems, or would it be something wrong
   about my system? :-(

Thanks in advance,

--
Ambrose C. Li / +1 416 321 0088 / Ming Pao Newspapers (Canada) Ltd.
EDP department / All views expressed here are my own; they may or