Re: newbie needs help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 00:33:03 +0100

Tony_Melia@Dell.com wrote:

> I'm no expert, but you are only using 32M of your ram for the proxy. If
> this is a dedicated proxy server, increase the amount dedicated to caching.
> Squid apparently useds up to 3 times the amount you specifiy, so change
> cache_mem 32 MB to about 150M.

That is a very bad advice I would say. What it does it to increase
Squids memory usage by 120MB, most likely totally killing the
performance of the box by swapping.

The amount you specify in cache_mem is in addition to the memory Squid
needs for maintaining the cache, not a limit of the total memory usage.
See the Squid FAQ for details.

My recommended setting for cache_mem is usually 4 to 32MB depending on
server size and bandwidth. If you have a small machine then set it as
low as 2MB.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker