Re: Squid 2.2S5 stops responding on Linux 2.2.13?

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 03:05:58 +0000

Rod Savard wrote:

> I have several squid 2.2S5 servers... most are Linux 2.0.38. I have one
> server that's running Linux 2.2.13. On this server, squid sometimes
> stops responding.... the web browser will just sit there.
>
> Interestingly, stopping and restarting the squid process does nothing to
> fix the problem. Rebooting the Linux server definitely clears it up,
> but I'm sure there must be a logical explanation for this.
>
> I'm running Debian 1.3 on the Linux 2.0.38 servers and Debian 2.1 on the
> Linux 2.2.13 server. Suggestions?
>
> Doing a simple tcpdump shows that the client talks to squid, squid talks
> to the target web, the target web talks to squid, then nothing....

Had a similar problem with eepro cards going silent under load on linux
2.2.x. Instead of rebooting, try dropping the interface and bringing it
and your routes back up. See if it comes back to life. (I had to do
that, _and_ remove the driver module, then re-insmod the driver, and
bring interfaces and routes back up).

Mine worked fine, until I exceeded some unknown bitrate, then it just
stopped talking.

Not saying this is your problem, but it's something to check. Not a
squid problem, though, IMO.