Permission denied creating directories with squid -z

From: Wes Crabtree <crabtreebw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 10:30:50 -0600

I'm running Caldera 2.2.5 with Squid 2.2.S5. Running squid -z as root and get permission denied when trying to create directories. Same thing when squid tries to create access.log and cache.log. I did run successfully on BSDI 3.0 but had to create access.log and cache.log manually. Am I missing some Unix/Linux setup item or is this related to the Squid compile and setup? I really need to run Squid under Linux so I can run filtering software. The packages I am looking at are not BSDI ready.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Wes Crabtree
Network Engineer
City of Owensboro, KY