RE: Squid -z won't work

From: Brooks Martin <MBrooks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:48:05 -0000

                     TAYLOR JOYNSON GARRETT
Carmelite 50 Victoria Embankment Blackfriars London EC4Y 0DX
Telephone +44 (0) 171 353 1234 Facsimile +44 (0) 171 936 2666
                  World Wide Web: www.tjg.co.uk

This e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read,
copied and used only by the addressee. If you have received it in
            error, please contact us immediately.
Suid usually tries to become a different user when run from the root
account. This is set by the cache_effective_user and cache_effective_group
settings in squid.conf

By default this is set to nobody/nobody. You need to make sure that the
user/group that is specified here has the necessary permissions to
/read/write/create/delete to/from the swap area.

(Frankly, had you read either the FAQ or the squid.conf file thoroughly, you
would know this.)

The way I do this is to create a user and a group both of which are called
'squid' and then chmod and chown the necessary areas of the cache. All you
have to then do if specify this user/group in the squid.conf file.

Mart.