Re: async-io and freebsd

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:39:03 -1000

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 01:15:36PM -0500, Christopher Stein wrote:

> Hello Jeff,
>
> If you wish to use async-io, be prepared to newfs your entire
> partition to do recovery. fsck is no longer guaranteed to work
> to recover your cache.

  I think you're confusing the *BSD async file system options (for
which your comments are correct) with the Squid configure --async-io
option he was asking about. I believe they're unrelated.

> On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Jeff Beley wrote:
>
> > Does async-io work under FreeBSD, if so how do I get it to work?

async-io requires threads, and I don't believe FreeBSD has thread
support. (If it does, all the FreeBSD partisans will correct me, so
you'll get your answer.)
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.