Re: an idea about dual cpus

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:44:25 -0700

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Dustin Byford wrote:

> Our setup is currently consuming 80% of the cpu (average) with regular
> peaks to 100%. The machine is not io or network bound. So in an effort
> to fix the situation I was thinking about using smp. What does everyone
> think about this.
>
> Run 2 squid processes under different config files/log files/etc. Let
> them use icp to talk to each other through loopback. Give each process
> 2 of the 4 disks. This way each squid process will get scheduled on 1
> cpu. Of course the overhead of icp may be to inefficient. What do you
> think?

a) Are you already using dual CPUs? I would not be surprised if a
   single Squid installation benefits from using smp.

b) If you have to run two Squids and are afraid of ICP overheads,
   give Cache Digests a try.

c) Please share your SMP experience with others when you find a good
   working solution.

$0.02,

Alex.