Re: Unsupported method PROPFIND

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 02:51:23 +0000

Jati Setiawan wrote:

> >> What does these below entries in cache.log mean?
> >>
> >> 1999/11/15 02:24:01| parseHttpRequest: Unsupported method 'PROPFIND'
> >> 1999/11/15 02:24:01| clientReadRequest: FD 53 Invalid Request
> >> 1999/11/15 02:24:08| parseHttpRequest: Unsupported method 'PROPFIND'
> >> 1999/11/15 02:24:08| clientReadRequest: FD 93 Invalid Request
> >
> >PROPFIND is a DAV method. Someone's attempting to use DAV through the
> >proxy, which (unpatched) does not support it.

> I'm still new dealing with squid, so what's DAV?
> I'm using squid2.2-STABLE5, where can i get the patch?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jati

DAV is the Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol, if I remember
correctly.

DAV adds an additional set of methods to HTTP which adds a new transport
layer to HTTP. Some uses for DAV include network filesystems, revision
control, publishing, and sending/recieving email (or indeed, any other
kind of data).

Revision control is good. Publishing is good. The jury's still out on
whether the others are good, although Microsoft implements both of them
(their Web Folders tool implements a kind of network filesystem over
HTTP+DAV, and Outlook 5.x tries to use DAV to talk to certain kinds of
mailserver over HTTP).

Compliant HTTP webservers and proxies need not support DAV. It is an
optional extension. As for where you can get the patches from, either:
(a) Go to squid.nlanr.net, click on version 2, then 2.2 then select the
bugs page and scroll down some, or (b) Go visit Henrik Nordstrom's pages
(alas, I don't have the address handy...check the list archives)

Duane: This is getting to be a FAQ.