Re: an idea about dual cpus

From: Bartlomiej Solarz <B.Solarz-Niesluchowski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 07:25:36 +0100

At 01:39 99-11-16 , you wrote:
>Our setup is currently consuming 80% of the cpu (average) with regular
>peaks to 100%. The machine is not io or network bound. So in an effort
>to fix the situation I was thinking about using smp. What does everyone
>think about this.
>
>Run 2 squid processes under different config files/log files/etc. Let
>them use icp to talk to each other through loopback. Give each process
>2 of the 4 disks. This way each squid process will get scheduled on 1
>cpu. Of course the overhead of icp may be to inefficient. What do you
>think?
I use box 2*PIII 450 / 256 MB RAM i have on this box two squids (one small
(0.5GB) second one large (5GB)), news serwer (2700 newsgroups), and load is
below 0.5 (exception when is executed cron.daily), currently i use 2 SETI
at HOME processes and load is near 2 - the CPU's isn't problem (in my
opinion) to large scale squid - problem is RAM/HDD/NET.....

Best Regards

* Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski *
* Administrator WSISiZ *
* Motto - nie psuj Win'9x one i bez tego sie psuja.... *
* Jak sobie poscielisz tak sie wyspisz *