Squid becomes very slow

From: Isabelle Moullet <Isabelle.Moullet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:08:19 +0100

Bonjour,

We experience some problems with our 2.2 Stable4 version of Squid
which becomes very very slow.. Squid is running on a sparc 1000
(Solaris 2.6) with 4 x85 MHz CPU (apparently the number of CPU is not
important on Solaris since Squid seems to be mono thread, is that
correct?...). The proxy receive 1'000'000 requests per day and the
process use about 20% CPU time and 150 Mb memory.The disk space
allocated for cached objects is 13.5 Gb and the total memory of the
machine 512 Mb. From what I have read about the ratio "disk
space/memory", 512 Mb seems to be enough. What do you think ?
Furthermore we do not see any memory leak in our process.. but.. what
I have noticed is a high ratio (0.29) between "Page faults with
physical i/o" and "the Number of HTTP requests received" which are
given in the cachemanager tool (general Runtime information). Is that
normal ?

As mentionned in the FAQ I tried to reduce the cache_mem to cache hot
object from 32 Mb to 16 Mb but I could not observe any change in the
behaviour of Squid ..

Any suggestion ?

Best regards

Isabelle Moullet