Re: Pico Access.log

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:04:57 +0000

Craig wrote:

> Today I did a silly thing and tried to pico the access.log file which was
> about 50Mb at the time. The machine worked overtime opening the file. Squid
> is running on Rehat 6.0. Before I tried to do this our used swap space was
> 0k, it is now at 5,248k.
>
> Is this anything to worry about?
> Will it return to zero?
> Should I restart the box?
>
> Thanks
> Craig

Assuming pico has terminated and left nothing lingering, probably what
happened was that applications that were idle got swapped out. If
they've stayed idle, they are probably still swapped out.

Try a 'vmstat 1' and watch it for a minute or so. If there's nothing
under the 'si' and 'so' columns (swap-in and swap-out) then I wouldn't
be concerned....probably just idle tasks got moved out to swap to make
space for pico at the time.