Re: The Hunt for RingZero (port 3128 scanning worm/trojan)

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:23:49 +0100

At 11:07 18.11.99 -0800, Andrew Daviel wrote:
>The SANS institute has been accepting reports of scanning activity on port
>3128. It seems this is caused by a fairly sophisticated network virus.
>
>On our lightly-loaded Squid (we don't enforce its use), recently about
>30% of all access was denied (i.e. from offsite). No-one has asked
>to subscribe to our cache, so it looks like this activity might
>all be attributed to RingZero or other scanning activity.
>
>One possibility, I suppose, is to move from 3128 to another port...

Security by obscurity that would be. I'd rather properly secure port 3128
than move it to a different port number in the hope of hiding it from
hackers. All your users know that port number and/or your proxy.pac script
openly announces it; how can you hope to keep it secret from the bad guys?

If you do not offer access to your Squid from off-site, block port 3128
on your firewall and be done with it. That's what I do here. Much safer
than changing the port number, anyway.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)