Re: The Mythical 30% Hit Rate

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 21:24:57 +0000

tom minchin wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 06:56:37PM +0800, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm curious about the oft-quoted 30% optimal hit rate "by experience".
> > Is this on requests or on bytes? I got a server that's doing 30% on requests,
> > and 15% on bytes, on 9 GB of cache_dir.
> >
> > I'm wondering if adding 9 GB more disk will increase the byte hit rate.
> > One reason it might not, is because this cache handles requests of
> > downstream caches and not end-user requests.
> >

> On our cluster, we get ~30% bytes and ~34% requests on 45gig, I suspect there's
> a sweet spot as it's pretty close to what we get on the 20gig cluster members.
>
> If you do service downstream caches, then you don't get good statistics as
> the downstream gets the client hits.
>
> tom@interact.net.au

We get ~62% by hits and ~45% by bytes across 7 servers on one of our
deployments. This is with a percentage of the ~1,400 connected customers
having a deployed proxy of their own (each customer supports around a
thousand users).

Our customers are a niche market, though, and tend to have similar
browsing habits.