help for squid newbie

From: Mark DeWar <inetmail@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:03:34 -0500

Hello,
this is my setup.
machine with two nics. one has ip of 192.168.0.1 and the other an ip from our class c. only our internal network is using the squid cache/proxy.
each computer on the network is setup with a 192.168.0.x address.

i have installed squid and it works for web surfing. however i can not get the machines on the network to check/send mail or ftp out.
I have looked thru the squid.conf and read the faq's and can not see what i have missed.
if someone could please help or point me in the right direction I would greatly greatly appreciate it. This is driving me nuts.

thanks for the time and help.
md