delay pool problems

From: Craig Heading <tasdevil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:07:32 +1100

Using squid 2.2 latest ver (patch 5??).

I have been playing with delay pools on my own computer here (connected
via LAN to the Net). When I download a large file from this computer it
floods the link. So I entered:

delay_pools 3 # 2 delay pools
delay_class 1 2 # pool 1 is a class 2 pool (for single ip address)
office restricted
delay_class 2 2 # pool 1 is a class 2 pool (for single ip address)
office full speed
delay_class 3 2 # pool 2 is a class 2 pool (for dial-in users)

delay_access 1 allow fweb
delay_access 1 deny all
delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 10000/15000

Whilst this does effectively restrict my computer to downloading at
10k/sec (works fine), the problem is that when I download one file which
comes in at 10k/sec, the net becomes totally non-responsive to any other
request on the computer. If I try to download two files, the second
attempt just sits around waiting for the first one to finish (no doubt
coz the delay pool is totally swamped). Web surfing is just as bad.

Any ideas?

Also, would the above example stop me downloading files in the cache at
around 700k/sec (restricting it to 10k/sec)?

thank you

      _--_|\            From  : Craig Heading, Mudgee Internet
     /      \                   73 Market St, Mudgee NSW Australia
     \_.--._/           email : tasdevil@winsoft.net.au
           v            MyPage: http://winsoft.net.au/~craig
                        Phone : (02) 6372 0100