Setup for optimizing satellite link

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:04:02 +0800

Hi all,

We're setting up a relatively high bandwidth satellite link (2-45 Mbps) from
the US to the Philippines. There will be one uplink on the US end and
multiple downlinks over here.

We have the opportunity to put our own servers on the US side very "close"
to the satellite uplink. What we're considering is putting our own Squid
there. The initial advantage is that the multiple downlinks can feed off
the same cache, get HITs, and reduce the latency on the sat link.

On top of that, I'm wondering what optimizations can be done to make it
better. One thing I'm considering is the theoretical maximum bandwidth
of each TCP session due to the increased latency - would that hurt HTTP
pipelining?

Thanks for any thoughts -
---m

--
Miguel "Migs" A.L. Paraz	             IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
http://www.iphil.net                       Business Development/Training Group