turning of client-ip address forwarding

From: s leonard <ssl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:29:04 -0700

hi
well, thanks to reading the wise words from this group,(and the FAQ),
(and understanding what I can ;) , we have our proxy up and running -
(mostly)doing proxy-cache for our ip-restricted journals.

Remote Journals check to see if the requesting IP is in a range of
"allowed ip's" if not, then login/password is requested:
(e.g: http://www.pedsinreview.org/cgi/content/full/20/11/363 )

The problem is that, even though this works great for most sites, for a
few, we are finding that even though access.log and cache.log show that
the page is being requested by the squid proxy, (which is in the correct
ip range) it fails the IP check.

The contact we had at highwire.stanford.edu suggested that we needed to
"turn off ip address forwarding"
because they scan headers for: X-Forwarded-For and X-Originating-IP

I see in the squid conf that I can turn off X-Forwarded-For
by setting:

forwarded_for off

Does squid use X-Originting-IP ?? are there any other configuration
settings which might me of use in making sure that the client ip is not
sent?

--
shanna leonard
senior systems programmer