Re: Howto: Squid to retrieve via 2nd proxy - PLEASE HELP

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:13:48 +0000

Richard Palmer wrote:

> I am trying to configure squid (2.2STABLE5) to by default request ALL
> requests via a 2nd proxy server (through a cable modem link), and if this
> request fails (the link may be down) then to go DIRECT (via an ISDN link)
>
> I have tried all sorts of ways of doing this, but unless I use the
> "never_direct" option in squid.conf squid keeps going direct.
>
> Now a few things to be aware of:
> 1) The proxy I want to connect to isn't configured as a squid parent (just a
> normal proxy) and it has ping etc turned OFF.
> 2) The link to the 2nd proxy goes down from time to time, so I need squid to
> switch to DIRECT if it gets no response from the 2nd proxy.

You might want to try using ICP instead of cache_digest
ICP always checks its parent(s) before sending, so that'll quickly switch over
when appropriate, unlike cache_digest, which could take some time to detect
and deal with the problem (several minutes?). There is a cost in performance,
as cache digests are more efficient than ICP.

You can use ICP by replacing no-query with no-digest in your cache_peer directive.

----
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025
'push done right'                                  Squid consultants