Re: Authentification

From: Peter Polkinghorne <Peter.Polkinghorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 14:14:49 +0000

squid-users-digest-request@ircache.net said:

Vladas Lapinskas said:
> I would like to use my /etc/passwd file to authentifiacte users.
> Which program can I use to authentificate against passwd? Is it a
> good reason to create a special file for squid rather than use
> passwd? As I understand, password is sent in Base64 format, and even
> reading mail via pop3 will send user password in a clear text. I
> would like to use one password for mail, ftp, squid, etc in the
> intranet. So, I do not think security is the reason in my case...

In the squid source tree there is a directory auth_modules (true for 2.1)/
You can use one of those, Henrik Nordstrom has a PAM module and I have writen
a simple UNIX one based on ncsa_auth since Solaris 2.5.1 PAM support is
broken.

See also the FAQ - there is a ref to an authentication page from there.

> One more question - will I have problems with sites protected via
> Basic HTTP authentification?

No assuming not transparent proxying, since proxy authentication is separate
from Basic HTTP authentication and understood by browsers (since presumably
part of the protocol).

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |