configuring web pages to allow/deny caching?

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:25:53 -0400

Hi All,

I'm doing a short presentation on our web caching project. I would like to
show how HTML tags affect caching. So I guess I"m asking a very general
question about how do I configure web pages to allow/deny caching? From what
I've seen, some pages have expires tags that expire the exact time you get
the page (this is commonly seen at "big" sites, like cnn.com, ibm.com
,etc..).
I've also heard of the no-cache tag, but have not seen it being used. Is
this tag used for the entire HTTP document or can it be placed around
certain components of the page (ie. no-cache around hte text and not around
the gifs).

Thanks

Matt Ashfield
Computing Services