Re: Defining a cache_dir

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:14:29 +0100

Colin Campbell wrote:

> However, I get the feeling from various postings on this subject that
> squid "prefers" (or "works best") with Y = 256.

L2 controls the amount of files put in each L2 directory. It is believed
that 256 files per directory is a suitable number for most UNIXes with
linear directory searches.

It is basically a tradeoff between directory search time and filesystem
metadata cache efficiency. Smaller L2 (to a certain point) gives
somewhat faster directory search times per directory but requires more
filesystem buffer. Larger L2 (to a certain extent) gives somewhat slower
directory search times but a higher filesystem memory buffer efficiency.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker