Re: possible problem with half_closed_clients options & file descriptors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:09:05 +0100

Jens-S. Voeckler wrote:

> Sigh, I have to find (yet) that particular timer to tweak (in Solaris). It
> is *not* tcp_close_wait_interval (that was actually renamed to its real
> descriptive name tcp_time_wait_interval in Solaris 7).

It is the Squid read timeout you need to tweak, not a Solaris timeout.

Squid can't tell that the client has closed the connection until it has
any data to transmit to the client. This is why the client socket stays
in CLOSE_WAIT if the server connection stalls and the user aborts.

> Nope, it went away. Though I have to admit that I like the idea of
> half duplex transmits, e.g. I am frequently using Stevens' sock tool
> in half-closed mode (because Apache supports it) to send queries
> via my cache.

Unfortunately I see no way it can be properly supported in Squid until
we find out some method of knowing that the client has closed it receive
end of the connection without actually writing contents to it.

/Henrik