DNS Errors! "Uknown DNS error"

From: Andreas Skilitsis <macstar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:58:52 +0200

First of all I would like to thank all users who replied to my ACL
etc.. questions in my last message... they all have been very
helpfull...

And NOW... I got another problem... I got squid to start normaly
without any errors... but when I connect to it to retrieve ANYTHING
(local subnet or outside) the cache.log reads:

The reqest GET http://www.linux.org/ is ALLOWED because it ...
ipcacheParse: Got '$name', expecting '$addr'
commConnectDnsHandle: Bad dns_error_message
fwdServerClosed: FD http://www.linux.org/

What the hell is going on... and what the cache replies to my browser is:

---
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.linux.org/
The following error was encountered:
       Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.linux.org
The dnsserver returned:
       Unknown DNS error
This means that:
  The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
  Check if the address is correct.
---
Well it is correct... and "hand-running" dnsserver... works fine... I
type domain and it returns the data correctly...
I'm sure that it will something as silly as commenting un-commenting
a line in the .conf file... but after 3h looking at the damn thing
and trying again and again... I gave up... HEEEEELP anyone?
For those that haven't seen my last message... I'm running linux
kernel 2.0.36 (RedHat) on 686 with 128MB Ram... and I have a firewall
running (that as far as I know doesn't mess-up with dns or web... and
I think the successful dnsserver test I made proves it).
Thanks in advance...! Owe you all my eyes already ! :)
Andreas Skilitsis
Very-Soon to be Linux-Lover
MacOS Networks Admin (for now)
___
Andreas Skilitsis
macstar@avalon.gr
___
- How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
- None. They just  redefine darkness as the standard.
___