Re: Squid-Accelerated Mode with /Transparent Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:23:02 +0100

Developers: see the end.

Jack McCann wrote:

> A request is sent from a browser which goes to Squid, Squid does not have the
> URL requested cached and then goes to the origin server defined. The origin
> server requires basic authentication to access the URL requested. Squid does
> not cache this page. Is there a configuration option to cache this page or
> is Squid designed not cache pages which require user authentication from the
> origin server.

Squid only caches material classified as public. Unless told othervise
it assumes that authorized material is private.

It will do what you want if you mark the replies with "Cache-Control:
public, max-age=0, proxy-revalidate". Hmm..

Reading RFC2616 on the subject seems to indicate we have a compliance
problem here.. The HTTP working group have changed the meaning of the
relevant cache-control headers in between RFC2068 and RFC2616. See
section 14.8, specifically s-maxage and proxy-revalidate.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker