Re: always_direct?

From: Richard Archer <rha@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:35:45 +1100

At 14:28 +1100 10/12/99, Roddy Strachan wrote:

>we have the class of /24 so it
>won't cache them, is there anyway to have it in always_direct as
>this? Rather than having to put in all our local sites?

You can force squid to go direct to all servers in your C with:

acl local-net dst 203.19.222.0/255.255.255.0
always_direct allow local-net

Be aware though that this makes squid perform a DNS lookup on all queries,
as it needs to convert the hostname from the URL into an IP address so it
can compare it with local-net. This can slow things down considerably if
DNS is slow (and it often is from Oz).

You can avoid the lookups by specifying all hosts in your C in an
'acl X dstdomain xxx.satlink.com.au' line.

Note that the 'acl X dstdom_regex -i satlink.com.au' option can make this
a little less tedious, but locally hosted domains all need to be specified
individually.

 ...R.