Re: Squid strangeness

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:10:35 +0100

Maxim Podorov wrote:

> > Squid only responds with a "Accept-Ranges: bytes" if such a header is
> > provided by the origin site. It does NOT add any such headers, or remove
> > them.
>
> Even if it answers "HIT"? I think it could "Accepts ranges" in this
> case.

This is a grey area not well spelled out in the HTTP RFC. I think the
safest approach for a proxy is not to add the header, as doing so may
falsely advertise that the origin server handles range requests for the
URI.

By the way, Servers are not required to add Accept-Ranges: bytes headers
even if range requests are supported. Servers supporting range requests
MAY add Accept-Ranges to indicate the fact. See RFC 2119 for definition
of MAY.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker