Re: httpd accelerator and PURGE command (2.2STABLE5)

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:06:48 -1000

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 02:51:48PM -0000, Michael Miller wrote:
> I have setup Squid 2.2STABLE5 in a httpd accelerator mode.
>
> #bit from config file
> httpd_accel_host real-www.domain.uk
> httpd_accel_port 80
> #httpd_accel_with_proxy off
>
> This is working fine.
>
> However I need to use the purge command. I setup the access lists, as needed
> by the purge command only to always be denied access to the purge command.
> (I saw a similar post in the archives from a few months ago which did not
> help me).

Semi-related question for users and developers:

  I've been contemplating weak points in the whole Squid setup as I
move forward to rolling it into production, and in general the ability
to purge classes of objects which shouldn't have been cached, or should
no longer be cached, seems like one of the weak points in cache
management right now.

  I didn't get any answers to earlier questions about handling this,
but even in our limited in-office tests of transparent proxy this came
up, with regard to a domain which was being moved to our web server
from a remote site.

  I'm considering the merit of creating something like a "purged"
(which could be e.g. a niced perl script) which I could give a URL spec
of some kind, such as a domain regex (or maybe other parameters) and
which would then walk through the cache contents and issue purges for
anything matching it. If I wrote something like this for our own
maintenance use, would others have a demand for it?

  (It would be even better if it were a function in Squid to traverse
Squid's own internal indexes/structures to find them in the cache, but
that would require more significant hackery, worth it only if admins
start using it heavily.)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.