Re: hit rates and maximum_object_size

From: Neale Banks <neale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:16:28 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Neale Banks wrote:
>
> > Storage LRU Expiration Age: 7.96 days
> > Mean Object Size: 11.25 KB
> > Requests given to unlinkd: 0
>
> If this has been running for some days, then you do not have need for
> much more disk.

OK, any suggestions as to the consensus for "reasonable" bounds on this
and any related measures?

> > Mmmm... given that I don't have any cache-digest happening, those
> > negative "Byte Hit Ratios" (as discussed in separate thread just now)
> > are a bit of concern. Maybe something like the quick-abort needs
> > tweaking? It's currently:
> >
> > quick_abort_min 16 KB
> > quick_abort_max 16 KB
> > quick_abort_pct 95
>

> delayed abort can be fooled on some requests, and my recommendation is
> to configure quick_abort as restrictive as possible until the function
> is properly verified.
> quick_abort_min 0 KB
> quick_abort_max 0 KB
>
> Also, there are problems with HEAD requests on FTP objects, and some
> range requests. Patches for these two latter problems are available from
> my Squid page <http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/>

That would be:

     Squid-2.2.DEVEL3: Range request could cause bandwidth spikes
     Range requests to servers/objects not supporting range requests could
     cause bandwidth spikes and/or negative hit ratio.

     Squid-2.3.DEVEL3: HEAD and ftp://...
     Support HEAD ftp://.. requests without fetching the whole object.

Given that I am currently running 2.2.STABLE4, I should be upgrading to
STABLE5 first?

Thanks,
Neale.