Too many TCP_MISS results?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:04:15 -0500

Maybe I'm not clear on Squid's (v2.2S5) caching scheme, but it seems I
get more TCP_MISSs than I should.

If I go to a Web site I've never been to before, all the objects on
the page are shown in access.log as TCP_MISS. That's reasonable. If
I then clear out my browser's local cache, restart the browser, and go
to that same Web site, shouldn't the objects show up as TCP_MEM_HITs
in the log file?

Some key Squid config options on my Linux (RedHat v6.0) system:

  cache_mem 16 MB
  cache_dir /var/spool/squid 512 2 254
  cache_store_log none

I find that in the example above I get TCP_MISS for the objects on the
page, even on the 2nd access to a given page.

Do the objects in the cache have to "age" somehow before they are
accessed as HITs?

Thank you.