Re: Page faults with physical i/o : XXXXX

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:35:18 +0100

Jan Van Ham wrote:

> I've my Squid 2.2STABLE5 running for some days now without any problems...but
> I've a huge amount of "Page faults with physical i/o : XXXXX" and it keeps growing ;-))

Normal for any OS which uses paging for file disk I/O, for example on
Solaris. COULD also be a sign that your Squid is swapping.

> Will this counter increase when objects are written to disk ??

See above.

> Paging IS a "generic" error , so I don't know exactly how to see this...

Very much true. The only thing you can surely say from this valua alone
is that if it isn't growing then you do not have a noticeable memory
shortage.

> My testmachine only runs with 98MB RAM and the RSS Size is 74MB and the SIZE is 88200K so the box is swapping ;-))

Use your faworite performance monitoring tool (vmstat/sar/whatever) to
figure this out. Looking at RSS/process size is almost as unreliable as
page faults.

> Probably a few hundreds MB's of extra RAM will do the trick ???

At least it never makes things worse. Not unless the added RAM has
hardware problems anyway..

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker