Re: Questions About Squid Access.log Codes

From: Jens Elkner <elkner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:08:02 +0100 (MET)

'Kent, Mr. John wrote:'
Hi Kent,

> and have two questions:
>
> 1: Must a page include the Last modified tag to be cached or are the Date:
> and Expires: sufficient?
> the legend on
> http://ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~elkner/proxy/Squid/httpcodes.shtml
> uses AND in between the three implying all three need to be present.

No - probably you didn't notice the tiny word unless, i.e. only one
of the three headers needs to be present to fullfill one of the requirements
for cachable objects ...
(see httpCachableReply(...) in http.c)

> 2. My access log shows many 200 TCP_HIT:NONE results
> According to your charts TCP_HIT means "A valid copy of the requested object
> was in the cache."
> Yet assuming NONE is the Hierchy, NONE means "the object requested by a

Well, actually it depends from "who requested the object". If it was a
[negative] HIT for a client request, it means, that the object was in the
cache and no other neighbors have been ask, to get the object.
If it was a request from a sibling, the object was not in the cache and
no other neighbors where ask to get the object, which implies, that your cache
is not a parent of the cache, which requested the object.

So the description "The object requested by a sibling, ..." isn't exact
anymore and should probably changed to a more general one like "There was no
need to contact a neighbor".

I hope, that helps.

Have fun,
Jens.