cache directory filling up... help

From: DANY KHALIL <dany.khalil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:52:03 +0200

I am running into a small problem... I have set up squid version
2.2.STABLE2 on a digital Unix
system... it has been running like a charm for over 2 month now.
recently, one of the cache directories grew so large that the partition ran
out of space. This caused
squid to shutdown even though I had other cache directories.

a snippet of my config file:

cache_dir /data1/squid/cache 8000 32 256
cache_dir /data/squid/cache 3000 32 256
cache_dir /usr/local/squid/cache 100 16 256

The 3 Gig partition on /data ran out of space.

My main question is as follows: Isnt therre some sort of parameters to set
in order for
objects in the cache to expire so that they get overwritten by recent
objects? and... if
one cache fills up, isnt squid smart enough to use other cache directories
with plenty of
space? I know I can purge the cache, but I rather not do that manually.

I would appreciate is someone can shed some light on the cache issue and how
to manage multiple
caches with expiry times etc... also any tips are appreciated.

why is the searchable archives always down???

thanx for your help!

-Danny-