Re: dns/squid problem

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 06:36:58 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Stefan Cyris wrote:

SC} I've got a nasty problem. I looked though the archive but I can't
SC} find any solutions. I installed squid and dns correctly. BUT I
SC} have problems to resolve 2 IPs. When I'm using squid to surf to
SC} yahoo.com ther is no problem but when I try to surf to
SC} www.denic.de I got: The requested URL could not be retrieved
SC}
SC} While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.denic.de/
SC}
SC} The following error was encountered:
SC}
SC} Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.denic.de
SC}
SC} The dnsserver returned:
SC}
SC} DNS Domain 'www.denic.de' is invalid: Host not found
SC} (authoritative).
SC}
SC} This means that:
SC}
SC} The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
SC} Check if the address is correct.
SC}
SC} When I do a nslookup my dns resolves the name without any problems. Also
SC} when I try to access this page without squid there is no problem.
SC}
SC} Any ideas why squid can't resolve the hostname ?

I doubt that it is an inherent problem with Squid. I have no problems
accessing http://www.denic.de through my Squid configuration.

One problem that you need to resolve is why you are being returned an
authoritative answer with NXDOMAIN. On your Squid box, try using

        dig www.denic.de +debug

to determine why you are getting an authoritative response.

                             Merton Campbell Crockett
| Manager, Network Operations & Services | Chief Network/Security Engineer |
| General Dynamics Electronic Systems | Naval Surface Warfare Center |
| Intelligence Systems Organization | Port Hueneme Division |
| Thousand Oaks, CA | Port Hueneme, CA |