sendfile() and NUMTHREADS questions

From: Doug Renner <dmr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:31:13 -0700 (MST)

Would it be a worthwhile hack to make a sendfile() compliant ftp.c?

What are some NUMTHREADS values that people are using? All of
my boxes were getting slapped about when I used 16 and they
occasionally report problems w/ 64. I am now compiling w/ 256. I
saw the 'ridiculous' length in aiops.c (STABLE5), so I didn't think
I was too bad of trouble, but *something* I saw said that 16 should
work in most cases. I am running on 5 spindles (4 for cache 1 for OS).

I check through *most* of the related data structures for an aio thread
and it doesn't seem like too much overhead at all. However, I may well
have missed something important. Looks like an even mix of shorts and
ints.

There is always death and taxes, however, death
doesn't get worse every year.