Re: second squid box for redundancy and load balancing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:31:12 +0100

Jay Wilson wrote:

> Has anybody setup a second local squid box for redundancy and to share the
> load?? I don't see any documentation on the FAQ's for it. What is involved??

The cheapest solution (unless you have a huge amount of clients where
the cost of reconfiguring sums up) is to use a proxy.pac script.

Another way is to use DNS load balancing, with a "smart" DNS server who
automatically removes a failed cache from the DNS entry.

The more advanced way is to use a TCP loadbalancer, for example Cache
Server Director from RadWare or a Alteon switch or similar equipment.
However, this costs a bit and have problems of their own, but it is
quite nice when it works.

And possibly other ways I have forgotten.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker