Re: Installing Squid

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:04:47 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Mazumder, Anik (CTS) wrote:

> For installation, I think I have to create a user Squid and have to
> download & untar the source in that user's home directory.
>
> What are the system permissions I should give to this user ?

If you are using a Linux distribution that has a package manager, you
might prefer to install their precompiled binaries. If you want to compile
from source, you should download the tar and unpack it into the directory
you usually use for compiling programs, often /usr/src. You can then read
the README, INSTALL and QUICKSTART files to find out what to do next.
Squid is a system application, and as such would not normally be installed
in a user's directory - it is usually run as user nobody.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781