Re: Adding header to pages

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 02:56:31 +0000

Henrique Pantarotto wrote:

> Hello Squid friends,
>
> I need to add a javascript pop-up banner to all HTML pages that are
> served by Squid.
>
> I wonder if this can be easily accomplished by modifying Squid's
> sources. I also wonder if anyone has already done that.

Yes. I have.

> So, is it possible to add an header (5 lines or so) to the beginning of
> a "content-type: text/html" page? I guess the "content-length" would
> have to be modified too.

Done this. It works badly. If your users have (for example) MSIE4.x,
you'll _never_ heard the end of it. Problems, problems, problems.

> Can this be done with Squid?

Squid's not designed for this sort of thing. I would not recommend doing
it with squid.

> I tried understanding Squid's sources (specially client-side.c), but my
> brain went into a coma (me too stupid). ;-)
>
> Has anyone done this before? Can someone help me (telling me what
> functions I should start looking and etc)
>
> Note that cineca mailing-list search is not working as I write this, so
> please apologize if this question has already been discussed and
> answered.

In the end I had to develop other solutions. The first two tries focused
on squid, in an effort to save work. Now I'm doing it the way it should
have been done in the first place. This is _not_ something you want to
do if you can avoid it.

It's sheer insanity to attempt it. Ergo: I am insane....but I also know
what I'm doing..._and_ what problems I'm letting myself in for.

Brief: I'm a specially trained idiot. Don't try this at home, kids.