Re: squid with reiserfs

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:21:56 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Patrick Kormann wrote:

]So far, reiserfs looks really quite promising. I now switched all for
]proxies we have to reiserfs.
]They are still building up their caches (as of course I had to delete the
]cache to convert the drive to reiserfs) but so far it really looks as if
]they would be running quite a bit faster and with less cpu load.

Ah, there it is. I was fiddling with the Solaris 7 log mount option, which
keeps a transaction log in order to speed up fsck (and nothing else!). I
found that with linear writes and a few random reads, as one would see
during cache fill, the log option seemed to improve performance. But
later, when switching to a random write pattern with a few random reads
(not quite, but similar to a filled cache), the log was slowing things
down compared to the same setup with not logged partitions.

Therefore, I would be utterly interested how your beast behaves after your
cache has been full for a few days. It might not be as beneficial as it
looks now, but I may be off the track.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726