Re: How to improve Samba write performance?

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 02:35:52 +1100

Hi,

At Wednesday 09:58 AM 29/12/1999 -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
>I recently sent the message below to this list, hoping I could get
>advise on improving Samba (v2.0.6) write performance from an OS/2
>client (I got no responses).

Well...it's not surprising really - see below.

>I subsequently ran the same tests from a Linux client using smbmount,
>also v2.0.6, and got the same results. The hardware config of the
>Linux client is the same as the OS/2 client below. Obviously, the
>problem is not Samba<-->OS/2 interaction, but just the Samba server.
>(I also have Win98 clients but don't have a suitable utility to time
>their Samba I/O performance.)
>
>I'm satisfied with the read performance of my Samba server, but would
>like to improve on the writing. There's obviously something wrong
>when writing a file via Samba is 4 times slower than ftp'ing it.
>
>Any write-specific advice? Thank you.

You're not likely to find any here, since this is a squid proxy mailing
list which has nothing whatsoever to do with Samba. Squid and samba are
not related.

You might find what you want at http://samba.org.au/samba/archives.html or
at least you can find information as to how to subscribe to an appropriate
samba mailing list from there.

reuben