Re: freebsd & 3COM980

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:10:47 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Sandra Jaque wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This question is out of squid list, but I´m trying to configure my
> Freebsd server to run squid on it, and I´m thinking to use a
> 3COM980x NIC or a Intel Server Adapter both have a dedicated
> processor to improve theire performance, but I´m not sure if
> Freebsd support this NICs, does someone know it? and better does
> someone have the drivers?...

No, they will not work. I would recommend that you use an Intel
EtherExpress PRO 10/100 NIC instead. Even if those other cards did
work, you wouldn't need one. Squid is not CPU intensive, so there
should always be plenty of spare CPU cycles to push packets out of
standard NICs. You can easily achieve wire-speed output (full
100Mbit/sec full-duplex) using an Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100 on
FreeBSD with a low-end Pentium system. I have a Pentium 133 here that
does that consistently with FTP transfers.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )