Re: hierarchy problems

From: Gergely Madarasz <gorgo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 02:36:34 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Gergely Madarasz wrote:
>
> > So what I'd need here is: discover why ICP fails on both hosts at the same
> > time (one is two hops away, the other three, and while using them
> > round-robin-ed, there is no problem at all), fix this, and then configure
> > ICP and have my cache use both parents when available for load sharing...
>
> Or you could use lower connection timeouts for your peers to speed up
> the dead peer detection on link failures. A few seconds timeout should
> be sufficient for any decent peer connection. Squid-2.2 patch
> implementing this is available from my Squid page, or wait for
> Squid-2.3.

I'm now using connect_timeout (10 sec), but I guess this affect both the
peer connections and direct connections, right ? Anyway this does not
solve all the problems. For example the link which has my default route
(let's try to solve this without monitoring scripts, which would always
try to set the default route to a working link) drops, then I can't reach
the parent which is on that link, and I can't reach the remote host
directly either, though I could reach it thru the other parent. But squid
would fail in 50% of the cases, because it would first try to connect to
the failed parent, then directly, and work in the other cases by
connecting to the working parent.

> You shouldn't need to use ICP it it is only for monitoring if the peer
> is alive. TCP connections does that job just fine.

So if ICP is disabled, and several TCP connections fail, will my proxy
mark the peer as dead, and use only the other? How will it detect when
the dead peer comes back ? (this is the round-robin setup for load
balancing) Anyway, my current logs show this does not work as I'd like it
to... :(

So should I try that script wizardry for defaultroutes along with the
peer connection timeout patch ? No routing protocol can be used, there are
no isp-independent ip adresses :(

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@sztaki.hu           gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                   HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/