Re: too many page faults

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:53:40 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Jay Wilson wrote:

> I am running RH6.0 and 2.3devel3. I have two machines setup as
> siblings. Both are K6-300 w/128m and 13G hard drive.I am noticing a
> VERY large amount of page faults. I read in the Squid FAQ's that the
> ratio of http requests to page faults should be between 0.0 and 0.1
> for best performance but my ratios hover around 0.35 or more. I have
> cache_mem set to 24m and cache_swap_low set to 60. What else can I do
> to improve performance? I can see a noticeable latency under heavy
> load.

Set cache_mem to the default 8 Mb, and cache_swap_low to something like
85-90 per cent. Is your operating system actually swapping/paging, or is
it just Squid that you're worried about? If the former is the case, then
reducing cache_mem will help a lot.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781